Saturday, April 21, 2012

Seeing with Closed Eyes

Liam Bowen does really cool drawings, and they just get better over time. His stuff's been a highlight of Auckland zinefests in recent years for me. You might've seen some of it - 'Walter's Cruddy Comix', 'Just Liam', 'Not Just Liam' (think I was in that one too!). Somehow I feel driven here to talk about his work like the creative writing teacher I am one day a week: it hovers really nicely, almost unbelievably, between a surreal and lost feeling (we're in dreams! we're not exactly in stories!) and still feeling we're right there following something along, something real and familiar (the faces, the voices, they're vivid and... buzzy). There's room here for one more glowing accolade: these are the only dream comics I've ever liked, except for the ones by Gabrielle Bell.*

Anyway, enough from me, it's a Sunday morning and I'd bet five bucks this blog post hardly makes sense. Liam's new comic, 'Seeing with Closed Eyes', is in at the shop now. Three bucks, and it's good.

*I have probably forgotten something. General disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment